Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Am I an Extremist???

ex·trem·ist  (k-strmst)
n.
One who advocates or resorts to measures beyond the norm, especially in politics.
 
Hmmmm...... well I'm sure I'm not a political extremist, but the rest of the definition definitely suits me. See, a lot of people think I take things too far, do too much, or become too hard core with certain things, but I'm starting to believe that it might not be such a bad thing!
 
For those of you that may not know me very well, I have a very harsh personality.  Now, if you were to meet me for a few minutes, you obviously would not think this were true, but that is simply because I am well aware of social graces and I conduct myself very well when meeting and befriending new people. I guess what I mean is, I have been told that I am very relatable and approachable, but nothing could be further from the truth when you get to know the real me. I'm opinionated.....VERY opinionated. When I'm around friends (and I use the term friends in its proper definition.  PEOPLE, someone you met once, twice, or even THREE TIMES, and you may have spoken with for a few minutes each time....they are NOT your friend. Just because you 'friend' someone on Facebook, does not mean you are actually friends.  Please keep this in mind for future reference.)  Again, when I'm around my actual friends, I tend to let my mouth fly off and speak what I believe to be true, and share my opinions without caution, and defend those opinions as well. On another note, I am fiercely loyal and will rip the head off of anyone who will try to speak ill of my loved ones. So, like I said, its a bit of a harsh personality.
 
In regards to my fitness, I think I'm a bit of an extremist there as well.  Merely going to the gym once a day is not nearly enough for me.  This is not to say that those of you who do go once a day are wrong.  I am simply saying that its not enough for ME to only go once. It has to be 2-a-days, and if for some reason I end up only going once in a day, I get angry at myself because I know the reason I was unable to go in a second time was bogus.  I am a big calorie counter, I'm not obsessive with it, but I am an avid tracker of things that I eat and I guess this can be considered a bit extreme as well.
 
In my home life, again, Extremism.  I am a clean freak. Well, as much as you can be with 2 small children running around.  My husband makes fun of me sometimes and claims I have 'OCD' (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) because I have certain nightly routines that I do.  I'm sorry, but I will NOT go to bed with my house a mess. And no, I can't sleep if the pillows on the couch are not arranged in the right way. And yes, it IS important to have no dishes in the sink and the coffee prepped and ready to go for the morning before I lay my head down for the night. Yeah......Extremism.
 
But here's my question: Is being an Extremist a bad thing?
 
In my opinion, I don't think so.  Being an Extremist has brought me a lot of success in my life.  I think many of us that are categorized as 'Go-Getters' are probably within this category of Extremists.  But since when is it a bad thing to get off your a** and WORK for what it is that you want? The way I see it, my Extremism has enabled me to have the best, real friends a person could as for, a very nice and clean home, and personal goals that I actually MEET! So, if being an Extremist has helped me to get to where I am, and living the life that I do, then how can it be bad? I don't think it is. 
 
Since this is primarily a fitness/weight loss blog, I suppose I should relate this topic more towards that spectrum.  So, here's what I'm getting at.  Maybe we all could benefit from a bit of Extremism in our lives.  Don't half a** your workout! Be an Extremist.  Go hard!  Do your workout like you initially intended.  Balls to the wall.  Let the sweat POUR off your face.  Work the machines. NEVER SURRENDERRRRRRR!!!!!!!! <-----I may have gotten a little carried away there.......
 

No comments:

Post a Comment