Monday, January 17, 2011

Anvil or Hammer?

In one of my most recent videos I shared a quote that I came across.



"In life, we must either be an Anvil or a Hammer."

I used the quote because I liked it. For some reason it spoke to me. But since I made that video, I've been repeating this quote in my head trying to really mull it over. What exactly does it mean? So I decided to do a little research using good old dictionary.com. I looked up the exact definition of both an anvil and a hammer. I know, it seems really stupid to look up the definitions of these two things. I mean, I know what a hammer is, and I know what an anvil is. But I figured that their exact definitions may have something to do with the real meaning behind this quote, this quote which for some reason struck me as something significant when I read it. So, here are the definitions:

Anvil: a heavy iron block with a smooth face, frequently of steel, on which heavy metals, usually heated until soft, are hammered into their desires shapes.

Hammer: a tool consisting of a solid head, usually of metal, set crosswise on a handle, used for beating metal, driving nails, etc.

Hmmmmmmm.....lets ponder this for a moment, shall we? So, now that we know the exact definitions, we now have a bit of a better understanding of what that quote really means: The hammer is what is used to force the metal shapes into the forms the operator of the hammer desires. The anvil is merely the platform that holds the metals so the hammer can do its hammering on a solid, metal, platform. So, the question before us is... 'What are you? The anvil or the hammer?' Do you persistently hammer away at the things in your life that you want to change? Do you keep banging and banging and banging away at things, until they are what you want them to be? Then, you might be a hammer. Conversely, do you patiently stay the course while providing stability for other people and other things in life to hammer away at you? Then, you might be an anvil.

So, what am I?????

After a lot of careful consideration, I've come to the conclusion that I, my friends, am both the anvil AND the hammer. In all aspects of my life, especially pertaining to this weight loss journey, I actively take the roll of the hammer: constantly pushing myself, never taking no for an answer, repeatedly forcing myself to do the things that I may be too lazy or too self-conscious to do, encouraging others to work hard, always demanding the best from myself and others in my life. I also passively play the role of the anvil: patiently waiting for the transformation both on the outside and inside as this journey continues, providing a stable environment for my son and my husband, allowing those that may ridicule me or poke fun at me for my videos and this blog to continue doing so: letting them hammer away at my outer shell of confidence, while still holding my own and standing tall on the inside. Yes, I think its safe to say that I am both the anvil AND the hammer, and I'm proud of it.

So, ask yourself: "What am I? Anvil or Hammer"

For those of you following this blog that are also on a weight loss journey: We must always remember that the entire idea of losing weight and becoming healthy is more about changing whats going on, on the inside. The result of working on our inside is the difference in our appearance, but its not the main goal. If you're on this journey only because you want to "look hot" or " get the guy/girl" or "fit into a size 4", then I have some sad news for you: the weight loss is not going to stick. Consider this: 'The prettiest people do the ugliest things'. Just because your outward appearance may be appealing to the eye, doesn't mean that you're fixed. I have to remind myself of this as well. When I see a picture of a friend looking fierce and hot in her bikini, with her "perfect" body, I'm hit with a twinge of jealousy (okay, its more than a twinge). But I sit back, close my eyes, calm my mind, and remind myself that its all about love. Its not about looking good in a two piece, its not about fitting into a certain size. This is about me. This is about loving myself, my husband and my son enough to want to be healthy and fit for the rest of my life. Its about enriching my life, and in the process, enriching my inner being.

Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment