Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Love of Perfect Strangers...

I am continually touched and amazed by the sincere and encouraging people within the YT WLC. Allow me to explain:


I woke up this morning, went to the bathroom, then pulled out my trusty scale. Yes folks, its that time again: Weigh In Day. I was shocked, disappointed, horrified, disgusted (insert your choice adjective here) to see that the scale read 185.0!!!!


GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Yeah, I was ready to just throw in the towel. On top of the shitty weigh in, my son is very sick with horrible chest congestion, AND I had my FIRST class of the semester last night and I already feel overwhelmed by the amount of work that I have to do. And that's only ONE of my FIVE classes this semester. I think it was a combination of all those things piling on at once, that I felt like nothing short of a LOSER this morning.

So, I logged on to Facebook (like I always do) and I posted on the YT WLC wall: "I'm feeling like a failure this morning, I gained one pound and I can't go to the gym because my son is sick and I'll have to be at the doctor's all day. Life sure can be a bitch when she wants to be." <------ That statement is very very VERY true. Its like that old saying, '...when it rains, it pores...' That's definitely for sure.

Then something amazingly wonderful happened. Perfect strangers who are also apart of the YT WLC reached out to me and sent me some encouragement via Facebook. I could feel their sincerity and care in every comment left underneath my post. I cannot tell you how much that meant to me. Its so uplifting to have other people who are on your side, cheering you on, rooting for your success, and only wanting the best for you and your health. I guess it was just a huge smack in the head of positivity to see that this morning. And you know what? I feel 100 TIMES BETTER!!!!!!


This brings me to my main point for today's entry: If you're new to this weight loss idea/journey/process then do yourself a favor and get some support. If you're not familiar with YT WLC and you're wondering what the hell those letters mean, they stand for the YouTube Weight Loss Community. Not all of us make videos, some of us just use the Facebook group as a means for accountability and contact with other people who are also focused on losing weight and becoming healthy. Or, if you want to start making your own videos (which I highly recommend) then DO IT! Start your own Youtube channel, start searching for other Youtube Weight loss vloggers and you'll soon be apart of the most loving, supportive, encouraging community you've ever been apart of. I hope my little 'testimony' above gives you the nudge you need to get out there and open up to others about what it is you're going through.


Weight loss is a serious struggle. Most of the time its much more of a mental struggle than it is a physical one. So, it is IMPERATIVE that anyone going through this struggle have someone to talk to about it.


I've said it before, and I'll say it again: "The Love of Perfect Strangers is the most humbling, amazing, reassuring thing I have ever come across in my life. " - and yes, that is a direct quote....from ME!

No comments:

Post a Comment