Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Karma...

Yes, I'd like to take a moment to discuss a certain belief that I hold. I like to call it Karma. Although I do not follow the eastern religions that define the word, I do believe in its general meaning or purpose.


So, what IS karma???

Karma is a Sanskrit word that actually means "action". Contrary to its literal definition, Karma is actually the universal law of 'cause and effect' within our day to day lives. The simple idea behind karma is this: you get back exactly what you put in. Interesting thought, isn't it? Stated even more simply, if you put out negativity, hate and ill will towards your fellow man then pain and suffering will ultimately come right back to you. Conversely, if you put out kindness, generosity and good will towards your fellow man then only good things will come to you within the course of your life.

For those of you who may be religious, the idea of karma is also described within the Christian beliefs but it is called something different. "The Golden Rule": do unto others as you would have done unto you. I've always loved that saying, now more so than ever. My personal swing on the idea of karma is this: whatever you do in life, you will get back times three in the end. When we think of it this way, we may ask ourselves why there is so much bad in the world when there are beliefs and practices such as Karma. That's a question that I cannot answer without getting deeply philosophic and religious. (Considering how this blog mainly concerns weight loss and personal growth, I will save you from my personal, religious beliefs. It is our right as humans of the world to believe whatever it is we want to. And that's all I have to say about that.)

So, what does karma have to do with this weight loss journey? To me, it has EVERYTHING to do with the journey. Helping others and encouraging others with their weight loss, ultimately helps me to help myself and encourage myself. Funny how that works, isn't it? Helping others, helps me! I believe this is why the YT WLC has such great success. The community is full of so many people who are ready and willing to help, encourage, support, uplift and just 'be there' in general for others within the community. I can honestly say that I have not had ONE negative experience with ANY of the other WLC members. EVERYONE is wonderful and uplifting and encouraging.

I follow the daily vlogs of CTFxC which is comprised of Charles Trippy and Ally Speed. Some people dislike them, and others (like myself) enjoy seeing a happy couple doing day to day things, and enjoying life for all that it has to offer. One of the main reasons I'm such a big fan of theirs is because they hold such wonderful beliefs (that they're not too shy to share) about 'goodness' and 'kindness' to others. Just the other day Ally touched on the subject by saying, " when you do something good for someone else, its such a win-win situation. YOU feel good for doing something for someone, and the person you helped feels good having been helped." ABSOLUTELY! Ally's point, however basic the terms, is that doing good for others does good for yourself and sets an example for others to do the same. Refreshing isn't it?

So the next time you see someone struggling to get through a door (like Charles and his many packages from the PO Box), hold open the door for them. The next time you see someone drop something on the floor, bend over and pick it up for them. The next time you see an elderly person standing on the train or subway, give up your seat. The next time you see someone leave a status or comment that shows they are in pain, offer to listen and to help. The next time you see someone crying, stop and ask if there is anything you can do (often its just the simple act of listening that makes all the difference). I promise, it will come back to you in the end.

You get what you put in.

No comments:

Post a Comment