Sunday, January 30, 2011

Things you may not know....

I decided that I would make today an easy blog entry, considering the fact that I have quite a bit of homework to finish up. So, I decided to let my blog "followers" know a few things about me that they may not have known. Some of them are rather trivial, so don't be surprised (haha).

10 Things You May Not Know About Me:

1) My favorite color is purple.
It always has been. I don't know why exactly. I just find the color purple to not only be pretty, but its also a happy color, a thoughtful color, an uplifting color...I just really enjoy it.

2) My favorite Sport is basketball.
Ever since I can remember, my family has always loved basketball. I can remember my Dad teaching my brother the basics: dribbling, shooting, different techniques. I remember when my brother first told my Dad he wanted to join a little league, my Dad insisted that he learn 'the basics' and THEN join the league. He used to make my brother dribble the ball up and down and up and down our sidewalk next to our house in the suburbs. As for me, I used to be my big brother's shadow when I was little. * I think at one point, I may have even wanted to be a boy haha)* In one way or another all three children in our family were apart of playing basketball. A lot of my fondest memories come from playing the sport in school. I just love it, and would like to get back into playing it at some point.

3) My favorite book is 'The Giver' by Louis Lowry.
Once again, I used to want to do everything my big brother did. I remember he had this book in his room because it was required reading when he was in 7th grade (that means I was in 4th grade...I think? lol) So, I tried reading it at that age and obviously I didn't have the ability to understand it, so I never finished it. Years later, in high school, I found the book in our house and my brother said, "commit to reading that book, its really great when you get into it." Yes, he was right. If you haven't read it, please do so.

4) I only knew my husband for 6mo.'s before we got married.
This is one of those things that is very difficult to fully explain. When you meet the person you're supposed to be with for the rest of your life, time and societal 'norms' just don't matter anymore. Before I met my husband, I had been in many relationships that lasted for months at best. I would always be too scared to commit to anything long term. But when I met him, I mean on the FIRST DAY, I was so comfortable. Being with him wasn't scary, it was just comforting and easy. So for the first time in my life, I wasn't scared to be with someone. I mean, we were together for only 3 months when we started seriously talking about marriage and what we wanted in life. And the rest, as they say, is history. (This March will be 3yrs. of being married).

5) My husband and I met on MySpace....
This is something I used to be kind of embarrassed about, but not so much anymore. I worked at a hotel on the graveyard shift (11pm to 7am) and I had A LOT of down time. I was almost ALWAYS on MySpace (as I wasn't apart of Facebook at the time). One night, I got a message from a stranger who had seen my profile and liked my picture. He said: "Hey cutie, wanna chill sometime?" I decided to check out his profile and his pictures, and needless to say, I definitely liked what I saw (i.e. 'damn! he's hot!' haha) We struck up a conversation via messaging. We did this for about 2 weeks before I relented to actually meeting him (I was scared of internet psychos! lol) And from there on out, we've been together.

6) I'm not a very sympathetic person.....sorry.
To explain, I believe that people get what they deserve (for the most part). I will admit that at times, life throws a whole bunch of shitty circumstances on people who are really trying their best and working very hard. For those people, I AM sympathetic. HOWEVER, I am not sympathetic to those who simply give up and accept defeat. Its okay to feel like shit sometimes, its okay to feel like giving up, but its NOT OKAY to actually give up. No matter what happens, there is a way to make things better. "Where there is a will, there IS a way." I firmly believe this.

7) I should have been a life coach...
Let me explain this one: MY ENTIRE LIFE, I have ALWAYS been the one that my friends (people my own age, and even older people) come to when they need advice or help figuring something out. I think its because of this: I was taught from a young age to find the SOLUTION. My Dad used to say, "Don't bring me a problem unless you have a solution." What an amazing lesson to teach a child, isn't it? So, when my friends come to me with their problems, I immediately become "Mrs. FixIt", I go into problem solving mode. I figure out what they need to do, I relay it to them in simplified terms and PRESTO! Their loads are lightened and the problem is damn near solved. Like I said, I should have been a life coach.

8) I take my own advice...wholeheartedly.
Many, many, MANY times when I give advice to my friends or loved ones (or recently people in the YT WLC) that advice ALSO SPEAKS TO ME. I hear the things I'm saying to others and I immediately think, 'I better be walking this talk'. And I make sure that I am. Who would want to take advice from someone who isn't willing to do the things they advise others to do? It doesn't make sense. Whatever you dislike, want to change, or cannot accept within another person; try to change that within yourself.

9) Coffee is my ONE AND ONLY vice.
I gave up cigarettes, I pretty much gave up drinking alcohol (not that I ever had a "problem" with it, but its just not great when you're trying to lose weight), I had to give up milk and all foods with lactose, but I WILL NOT GIVE UP MY COFFEE! If you were to read my daily food journals, you would see only one constant: "2 cups coffee with sugar substitute & soy milk". I will change the things I put in my coffee, I will even change the amounts I drink daily, but I WILL NEVER GIVE IT UP! Its not that I "can't" (that word is not really in my vocabulary), its simply because I thoroughly enjoy my coffee every morning. I think I should have something within my daily foods and liquids that I thoroughly enjoy.

10) I've always wanted to be a writer.
Can you tell? (haha) When I first went to college, I immediately declared my major as "Journalism". I wanted to be a columnist. However, I quickly learned all the falsehoods, fallacies, and manipulation that goes along with journalism. Friends I'm here to tell you, what you read on the front page or see on a big network news channel is not really the 'whole truth'. Too often the media plays on our heart strings rather than reporting the actual news. Needless to say, I quickly realized that this was NOT the profession for me. But I will always strive to be a writer in one way or another. Whether through this blog, or my personal journals, or maybe someday writing my own book (hopefully a best seller! *wink wink*). I will always write. I will always want to write. I will always be "a writer at heart".

So there you have it! Just a tiny glimpse of 'who I am' and my history. I hope you enjoyed it!

2 comments:

  1. I think I like who you are. :) I am part of the youtube community on fb as amy leigh. I think its wonderful that you found your husband - and I don't think in cases like this societal norms mean anything!

    ReplyDelete