Sunday, January 20, 2013

Facing Obstacles (8/365)

Yes, as you may have guessed from the title, I'm having some difficulties lately. And by lately, I mean all day today. See, Friday I decided I would take the day off from the gym so I could give my muscles some time to rest.  Then we ended up being out very late on Friday into Saturday. And it just so happens that Saturday was my "Mommy's Day Off" where I left the house for a few hours and just did things for me. I meant to go to the gym that day, however I got sidetracked while I was out enjoying myself and I lost track of time, therefore by the time I got home it was a bit too late to be going to the gym. So that brings me to today, Sunday. Today I had every intention of going to the gym in the morning and then going for an outdoor run this afternoon around my neighborhood. Well, that didn't happen. Why didn't it happen? Obstacles. Thats why.

As I may have mentioned previously, I suffered some complications from the epidural I received during the birth of Jonah.  I had severe head, neck and back pain for days on end after I got home from the hospital. I got better - obviously - however, I still have lower back problems from time to time. Usually every morning when I get up, my lower back feels pretty weak, so weak in fact that its even difficult to pick Jonah up from his crib without experiencing some pain in my back. Well, today was a very odd day for me because I woke up with little to no back pain - which was great! - then all of a sudden I got up from the couch to get another cup of coffee and it was as if someone was holding a knife in my lower back. I had to have my back brace on all day and an icy hot medicated patch as well.  THIS is the obstacle I am forced to have to face.  I also think that this back pain is going to hold me back from reaching a lot of the physical goals I have when it comes to fitness.  I still think I'll be able to lose the weight, but I'm not sure if I'll really be able to run long distances like I want to. And I'm not sure that this pain will ever really go away.

But you know what? Thats life. You can complain, and bitch and moan about it. Or, you can accept it, work with it and refuse to let it get you down. I'm working on the latter. I mean, I'm not entirely "accepting" of the situation I'm in and I may or may not be seeking legal representation to bring suit against the hospital for their negligence, but other than that, I just have to learn to work around it. There are NO excuses. What I mean is this: simply because I'm experiencing back pain, does that give me the excuse to eat unhealthy foods and sit on my butt all day? No. It doesn't. I can always eat healthier foods, and if running or even walking isn't in the cards for me in my future due to my back problems, guess what IS in the cards then? Swimming! Swimming is a great exercise and you're virtually weightless during it, therefore it puts little to now strain on my back. THIS is what I mean by making no excuses. 

Everyday, you can find a million reasons NOT to do what you know you really need to do. This goes for more than just weight loss.  I am continually annoyed with those who whine and complain about not being able to get their lives organized or get their list of things done for the day. I have never understood this. I have always been a very determined person.  If there is something I know I need to get done, I do it and thats that. If I don't get it done, there's no use complaining or whining about it because I am the reason it didn't get done. My laziness or poor organization is the reason it didn't get done. So, I continually choose to kick my own ass and MAKE myself do what I need to do, day in and day out.

In regards to weight loss, I will say this. The moment that I decided to stop making any and all excuses when it came to healthy eating and working out, THAT is when I finally had my greatest successes with weight loss. I'm continuing with this mentality this time around as well, because I know it works. Think of it this way: I don't care what path you choose in order to lose weight and get healthy - i.e. counting calories, weight watchers, hcg, south beach diet, sensa, etc, etc, etc - if you set out determined and focused and you follow these plans, YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT. Its the simple science of it all. You want to know why so many people fail in losing weight? Its because of their inability to stick to a plan. I have heard so many people claim that they have "tried EVERYTHING and nothing works for me. I just can't lose weight." I firmly believe that this is the highest grade of bullsh*t. You want to know why you're really not losing weight? Its because you're making excuses, you're deviating from your plan, you're not doing what you're supposed to be doing. And I know its hard. TRUST ME, I know its hard. Losing 90lbs last time was no easy task.  Again, I KNOW its hard. But no one ever said that accomplishing something great, would be simple. If it was, then everyone would be doing it.

So in closing, yes, I have a physical obstacle very much in my way. But instead of choosing to stop dead in my tracks, I'm going to find a way around it and continue on. It won't be easy, and there will be many small failures, of that I am sure. But I'm also sure that I'm determined never to give up. Nope, not me. Not ever.

Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment